Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The League of Extraordinary Bloggers: State of the Blog

This weeks theme for the League of Extraordinary Bloggers:

Write a “State of the Site” for your web site. How’s it going? What exciting things have happened this past year? Where do you want your site to be in a year’s time?

 
That a pretty cool pic!!
 
Anyway, he whole thing began in April of 2012....only 7 months ago!! I work as a Technical Writer and always wanted to be more creative, so after reading various Blogs I decided to give it a go.
 
But first I must give credit where it is due.
 
Reis O'Brien used to have an AWESOME blog called Geek Orthodox that I happened upon when trying to remember what the heck Presto Magix were. I remember  seeing the pictures and reading the post being so happy for having finally found what I was looking for but also, since I had no idea what blogging was, I found a site that really spoke to my interests. I found myself reading every back post and searching out other sites like that one.
 
He closed up shop at that domain and went over to be the Lord of Dorkness at The Lair of the Dorkhorde. I kept following and realized that I was wanting to jump in but how.....
 
Then I saw The League posts at Cool and Collected. This really got me thinking that I had a chance. I saw that many League members used Blogger and that it was free as well as newbie friendly for someone who wanted to jump in. I also saw that there were experienced Bloggers as well as Newbies participating in the League. It really gave me hope that I wouldn't be typing to myself and maybe some other people would actually read what I wrote.
 
So I did.
 
I decided that I would set up the site, write a few posts then start participating in the League. My first few posts, looking back, are pretty rough. But I got the hang of it and participating in the League really helped me to write to an "audience" by stretching the topics off of "here's my action figure, its cool."
 
Then I joined the Lair of the Dork Horde. I though they'd laugh at me but Reis let me in right along Bloggers with ALOT more experience than me.
 
So I have to give Credit to Reis and Brian for helping a Newbie along.
 
What exciting thing happened ?? I started writing and people responded. Slowly at first, but it came along. I have truly enjoyed the interaction more than anything. I look forward to being able to post something and you guys comment! I was commenting myself all over but have been a bit lax lately with life starting to get in the way, but I will make more time! It really is the best thing about doing this. I'm not making money at it, I really enjoy the interaction! There have been several Bloggers that have been more regular commenter's and its a good feeling to interact in that fashion. John over at Revenge from the Cosmic Ark lives miles away and Hobby (can I call you Hobby :) at Monster Cafe Saltillo lives in Mexico and we can talk toys through our respective Blogs.
 
I know I left out others but know that I do appreciate the comments and keep em coming! I respond to all of them and will continue !
 
I even had a giveaway contest and The Goodwill Geek won !! What kind of forum lets you do stuff like that!?!?!
 
Probably the best thing was to see how our community of Bloggers responded when Brother Midnight at Green Plastic Squirt Gun had a personal tragedy and everyone rallied behind him. Its something you just don't see very often and for people who only know each other through Blogging to give such a supportive response its very inspiring.  !!
 
After all that I have to say that I am most proud of the way every one rallied behind him.
 
Whats next........I have alot left on the walls and I have pulled the bins out of storage. I have alot more to share. Here's a bit of a look into "The Museum" and here all the magic happens.....
 
The end of my bar where all the pictures are taken....
 


A few pictures of the walls of "The Museum".....



.....and watch out for whats coming!!!


What you can do?? COMMENT!!!! and identify that figure in the sidebar for me !!! Its driving me nuts !!!!!!!

Check out the State of other League Members by clicking on their links:

Rediscover the 80s
Goodwill Hunting 4 Geeks
Monster Cafe Saltillo
Crooked Ninja


22 comments:

  1. It really does warm my heart to hear that the League and the Horde played a part in getting you writing. Both of the groups have been a lot of fun, and I love seeing what everyone comes up with each week.

    Your museum looks awesome, but the best thing I see is the giant "Daddy" -- that's a true treasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Yes....I can replace the plastic but treasures like that are irreplacable!! Thanks for the compliments but most of all thanks for sharing!!

      Delete
  2. Your stuff really is great, dude and thanks for the frequent feedback on my page as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I appreciate all the comments over the last few months and I'm a daily visitor for you! I've been turned on to a lot of new stuff by you so keee it up!

      Delete
  3. Geez....And I thought I had liquor at MY bar! HAHA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I'm 100% Polish! Ive got to have a fully stocked bar!!

      Delete
  4. I started my blog before the League and finding the Dork Horde. I felt out there on my own at the start but it's amazing how quickly you start networking and fall in with people that share your interests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The league and the horde really helped me get started. I don't know how long Id have lasted blogging to no one since I came in with no experience. Your blogs name is too cool....you were destined for greatness ;)

      Delete
    2. I was blogging to the ether when I started. Just figured somebody would read it eventually and it would go from there. Definitely a huge boost getting in with the League and the Horde.

      Thanks for the kind words

      Delete
    3. You are welcome. Blogging to the Ether......sounds like another great blog name ;)

      Delete
  5. I scroll down to leave my own comment and that is when I see the tag "Shane Douglas". This is why I love blogs like yours, along with the rest of the League and the Horde. We're all adults (mostly) that love the variety of heroes and villains pop culture has given us in all its forms. Excellent post sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I like that we all have a lot of shared interests....I keep up with wrestling through your blog even though I have no time to watch anymore. Keep up your good work! Btw on the Shane Douglas post that pic is actually me with him when I travelled to Philly to see ecw. Very nice person and was more than happy to engage the fans at the wrestlecon is was at.

      Delete
  6. Still don´t know what that figure is or where it comes from, but I own a couple of what seem to be KO versions... the "Actions Men"... other than that, great writing there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's got to be out there somewhere!! And keep up the good work yourself I enjoy seeing different stuff over on your blog!

      Delete
  7. You have a great blog Michael and it is a regular stop for me everyday my friend and i want to say thank you for the mention and am still trying figure out what that dang figure is lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No thank you! You are a staple of my viewing and I look forWard to your posts every time I log on! You sir have a great blog! We'll "figure" that guy out don't worry!

      Delete
  8. When I stumbled upon your blog I thought to my self, why is he playing with toys? Then I realized I do too. Here's to adults acting like children. Good job.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It keeps me young!! and I'm too old to change!!

      Delete
  9. Nice set-up! I love that Darren Puppa poster! I'm a Rangers fan myself, but that poster brings me back. I pop in every now and then, and I like what I see.I have a mostly toy blog, but recently started a hockey and non-sports card blog as well, if you're interested... http://hockeyandnonsportsfan.wordpress.com/

    You can be sure I'll be stopping by more often. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We are in Sabres country over here....too bad they cant figure out how to get back on the ice :( Thats my wife's poster, she was a big fan of his, on the other side is my signed Russian Fedorov jersey (out of the picture). I was thinking about posting some sports stuff every once and a while, like your site BTW.

      Delete
  10. Sorry I'm so late with this comment, but I've been playing catch-up after a crazy last week & long weekend of travel. But I did want to make sure to take the time to tell you how much I enjoy your blog, even as someone who doesn't really collect toys (well, all that much anyway!). I love the pics of your Museum and can't wait to find out what's lurking in those boxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem I know what it like...traveling to a wedding can be tough! Thank you for reading and commmenting. I'm a daily visitor at your Blog and love it! Keep up the great work!

      Delete